Monday, May 25, 2015

On earth peace, goodwill towards men…

Christmas Day in Liberia starts the same as Christmas Day in Hawaii Nei – sunrise, peace and palm trees. It changes quickly though. A pleasant sunrise turns to a blast furnace and the morning peace becomes chaos as the workday begins. Organized chaos yes but chaos nonetheless. I spent all morning at Spriggs airfield getting a contingent of our docs and nurses on to helicopters bound for the ETUs in Bopolu and Gbediah Town. I love saying Bopolu. I’m not sure whether I’m imitating Fats Domino or Ricky Ricardo when I sing it. Aerial pictures of both sites are attached. The livin’ ain’t easy on either site but will get better over time as the sites develop. Over the next week I send teams out to even more remote sites that make these two look like the Four Seasons.

It’s just after lunch and our next pow-wow isn’t until 3. Time to get this out. I thought a Christmas playlist delivered in a low tech setting in high tech fashion (via Bluetooth and JamBox) would be just the ticket. Wrong. I start off with Nat King Cole. I can remember my dad playing it through enormous speakers in the impossibly small living room where I grew up. Within seconds the tears well up. I switch to Frank Sinatra (Jessie’s favorite Christmas album) – mistake. A fast-forward to Windham Hill selections should dry me up. Nope. How about Hapa? Arrgh. Only makes me miss Hawaii more. I give up, switch it off, blow my nose and resume typing. Jeez. Keep it together. Stop slobbering. Any minute I expect to have someone open the attic access on me and I fall through the roof like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation. Where are the Moose Cups when you need them? I am fahklmept.

Finally, a special Merry Christmas to Jessie, Haley and Piper. You three are the greatest gifts I could have ever hoped for. To the rest of you a very Merry Christmas as well. Treasure your time with each other today. Treasure your family. Treasure your health. They are all gifts. And speaking of gifts, I am gob-smacked at the level of generosity displayed here by the responding community, the local Liberians and a very special group of locals – the Ebola survivors. There is no harder working group here. They teach us how to take better care of the current victims. They work in the hot zone caring for the infants whose mothers are too ill to do so. They play with the older children in the same situation. They take home the orphans who’ve lost everyone and everything. They even give of their own blood. It’s called convalescent serum and does appear to help improve survival when transfused into infected patients. Now that’s a gift. They are defining examples of what Christmas was, is and should always be about. And on earth peace, goodwill towards men…


No comments:

Post a Comment